What We Believe
OUR VISION AND OUR MISSION
New International Version (NIV)
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20
WHY ARE WE HERE?
Our vision is to connect people to the life-changing power of Christ Jesus.
True life-change only comes through the power of Christ Jesus and we are on a mission to show that in our community.
HOW DO WE DO THAT?
- Connect to God … we want you to experience God through worship and reading your Bible
- Connect to People … We want you to be involved in one of the various LifeGroups.
- Connect to Serving … we want you to use your gifts and talents to bring glory to God.
WHAT DO WE VALUE?
- The MESSAGE . . . we value God’s Word as the final authority.
- We value EXCELLENCE and strive to give God our very best.
- We value and seek to build authentic RELATIONSHIPS within the church and the community.
- We value FLEXIBILITY with our methods in order to impact our community the most effective way we can.
- We value the MESS. We know that life can be difficult and messy but we believe that Jesus wants to meet us in the middle of our mess, to transform us, and to allow for the mess we’ve been through to be our testimony for him.
- We value GENEROSITY – the giving of our time, talents & treasures to reach the lost and to build God’s Church.
IN ORDER TO STAY FOCUSED ON WHY WE ARE HERE, WE ENCOURAGE EACH OTHER WITH THESE FIVE CHALLENGES.
We Expect Believers to:
- Read the Bible daily
- Be active in a LifeGroup
- Continually use their talents to serve
- Naturally share their faith and to introduce a friend to Jesus each year.
- Give and be generous with their time, talents and treasures.
We believe in the one true God eternally existing in three distinct forms: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. We believe God is the creator of all things visible and invisible. (Genesis 1:1-2, Deuteronomy 6:4, Matthew 5:16, Matthew 6:1-9, Acts 17:24-28, Hebrews 11:3, James 1:1, James 14:9, and 2 Peter 1:21)
We believe Jesus:
• Is God’s one and only Son, the one and only Savior (John 1:14, 1John 4:9, John 3:16, 2 Peter 3:18)
• Was conceived by the Holy Spirit (Matthew 1:18)
• Was born Jesus of Nazareth, through the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, being fully human and fully divine. (Matthew 1:18 & 21:11, Luke 1:26-38, John 1:14, John 19:19, Romans 5:15-17, Colossians 2:9 and 1 John 1:1)
• Lived a sinless life (Hebrews 4:15, 1 Peter 2:22)
• Was crucified on a cross for our sins (Luke 23:1-46)
• Died on the cross, was buried, and rose again bodily from the dead on the third day (Luke 23:44 – 24:8, John 20:24-29, 1 Corinthians 15:3-8)
• Ascended into Heaven and now sits at the right hand of the Father (Luke 22:69, Acts 1:1-9, Colossians 3:1)
• Will return to judge both the living and the dead and reign as King of kings and Lord of lords. (Matthew 24:36-42, John 14:1-3, Acts 1:10-11, Act 10:39-42, 1 Peter 4:5)
We believe in the Holy Spirit:
• Who is the active presence of God in the world and indwells every Christian. (Matthew 28:19, John 16:5-15, Acts 1:7-8, Romans 8:26-27, 1 Corinthians 3:16, 1 Corinthians 6:19, & 2 Timothy 1:14).
• Who empowers Christians for works of service (1 Corinthians 12:4-11)
• Who empowers us to live Christ-like lives (Galatians 5:16-25)
• We believe in the Bible as God’s Holy Word, without error in its original form and inspired by the Holy Spirit. (Mark 12:36, John 14:26, John 16:12-15, Acts 1:16, 1 Corinthians 2:12-13, 2 Timothy 3:14-16, & 2 Peter 1:20-21)
• We accept the Bible as the final authority for all matters of faith and practice, and realize that it is profitable for teaching, correction, instruction and equipping the saints. (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 5:18, Matthew 24:35, Romans 15:4, 2 Corinthians 4:6, Hebrews 4:12, & 2 John 1:9)
Relating to Mankind
We believe the Bible teaches that man, created by God, willfully sinned against God and as a result is lost and without hope apart from Jesus Christ. (Acts 4:12 & Romans 3:23)
• We believe that salvation and the forgiveness of sins come only by grace from God and are made possible through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 26:28, Romans 5:9, Ephesians 2:8-9, 1 Peter 1:18-19, & 1 John 1:7)
• We believe the Bible teaches that the pattern to receive Christ as Savior is to believe in Jesus Christ as God’s Son, and as Lord and Savior of the world. To confess Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, repent of your sins, be baptized into Christ through immersion in water, and continue to grow and live in Christ. (Romans 5:1-2, Luke 24:45-47, Acts 3:19, 17:30, 2 Peter 3:9, Matthew 10:32, Romans 10:9, Philippians 2:11, 1 John 4:15, Acts 2:38, Romans 6:1-7, Galatians 3:27, Philippians 1:1, Colossians 2:12, & 1 Peter 3:21).
CHURCH & FAMILY
• We believe that the Church is the body and bride of Christ, founded on the day of Pentecost, consisting of all Christians everywhere. (Matthew 16:13-18 & Acts 2:14-47)
• We believe in the clearly defined roles of men and women as distinctly outlined in the Bible. (1 Corinthians 16:13-14, 1 Kings 2:1-3, Proverbs 12:4 & 31:1-31, Titus 2:3-5, & 1 Timothy 5:14)
• We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God. (Gen 1:26-27.) Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person.
• We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture. (Gen 2:18-25.)
• We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other. (1 Cor 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb 13:4.) We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
• We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography) is sinful and offensive to God. (Matt 15:18-20; 1 Cor 6:9-10.)
• We believe that in order to preserve the function and integrity of Metro Church as the local Body of Christ, and to provide a biblical role model to the Metro Church members and the community, it is imperative that all persons employed by Metro Church in any capacity, or who serve as volunteers, agree to and abide by this Statement on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality. (Matt 5:16; Phil 2:14-16; 1 Thess 5:22.)
• We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ. (Acts 3:19-21; Rom 10:9-10; 1 Cor 6:9-11.)
• We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity. (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31.) Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the doctrines of Metro Church.
LEADERSHIP IN THE CHURCH
• We believe that Jesus is the Head of the church, his body, and that each Christian is a part of it. (Colossians 1:18, Ephesians 1:22-23, Romans 12:3-8, 1 Corinthians 12:11-13)
• We believe the Bible teaches that the elders are to exercise authority over the local congregation. (Acts 20:28, Philippians 1:1, 1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9 & 1 Peter 5:1-)
• We believe that death seals the eternal destiny of each person.
• When Christ returns, He will formally pronounce the eternal fate of each individual, both living and dead. The saved will be assigned eternal life in Heaven with God, the unsaved/lost, eternal separation from God in Hell. (John 6:39, Romans 8:10-11, & Romans 19:23, John 5:29, & Daniel 12:2)
•Because God has ordained marriage and defined it as the covenant relationship between a man, a woman, and Himself, Metro Church will only recognize marriages between a biological man and a biological woman. Further, the ministers and staff of Metro Church shall only participate in weddings and solemnize marriages between one man and one woman. Finally, the facilities and property of Metro Church shall only host weddings between one man and one woman.
FINAL AUTHORITY FOR MATTERS OF BELIEF AND CONDUCT
• This statement of faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe. For purposes of Metro Church’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline, our Elders is Metro Church’s final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.